Hayfever is one of those things that seems like it would be a minor inconvenience but can really take over for a few months of the year. Itchy eyes, tiredness, exhaustion, irritability, runny nose. It can create anxieties around being in nature in case it triggers an attack.
We have noticed a link with hay fever between those people who may appear solid and contained but will react with frustration when something isn’t going their way. They may be quick to respond with fiery emotions but are actually hyper sensitive to the emotional landscape around them.
There may be many predisposing factors from childhood that could add to the likelihood of having hayfever. These include: an overly clean household whilst growing up, being the eldest sibling and therefore exposed to less bacteria, circumstances or incidents where they have been made to feel unsafe emotionally and have had to build a protective wall and bury their emotions.
We have the ideal remedy for working with some of the themes that can come up in the Hay fever-prone individual. Our Earth Clarity Drops comprise of elderflower and plantain tinctures.
Earth Clarity Drops
Elderflower redistributes mucous in the nasal passages, making the secretions feel less copious. Plantain leaves provide healing, anti-inflammatory support for the mucous membranes of the nasal passages. It helps to create a protective barrier to the allergens that can trigger the reaction. If we use the physiological body as a map to how these drops can support us emotionally, then they lead us to understand that we can great a firm feeling of being grounded and protected through the energetic gifts of the plantain yet, clear headed and able to focus with the elderflower. They are for when you feel generally fuzzy, ungrounded, and have difficulty concentrating of finding direction. They bring a sense of grounding and clarity.
Earth Clarity Cordial
Makes about two litres of delicious cordial
- 23 Elderflower heads
- 2 handfuls of fresh healthy plantain leaves
- Finely grated zest of 3 organic lemons and 1 orange
- Juice of 3 lemons and 1 orange
- 1kg / 4 cups Organic Fairtrade brown sugar
- 1.5 Litres Boiling water
1. Pick the Elderflowers and Plantain leaves on a sunny, dry day. Leave them outside for a while so that any tiny bugs hiding in the blossoms or leaves have a chance to make their escape. We place them on a sheet of newspaper.
2. Zest the 3 lemons and 1 orange and place the zest in a bowl. Put the fruit in the fridge as it will be 24hrs before you come back to using them.
3. Pull the white flowers off the green flower stalks/umbels and put them in the bowl with the zest and plantain leaves. Remove as much of the green stalks off the Elder as possible.
4. Pour the boiling water over the flowers, leaves and zest and let it infuse overnight.
5. Strain the infusion separating the liquid from the elderflower and zest. Place the infusion liquid in a large saucepan along with the juice from the 3 lemons and orange, zested the day before. Warm the infusion, then add the sugar and stir until it’s completely dissolved. Bring the mixture to a boil before lowering the heat and allow to simmer for ten minutes.
6. Using a funnel, pour the cordial into sterilised bottles and seal. Once cooled, the cordial can be used right away but unopened, the bottles of cordial have a shelf life of about a year. Enjoy ~